Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tough Choices

Uh-oh, worlds colliding tonight. Just four days after winning their biggest game of the year, the Wizards meet the Phoenix Suns tonight at 7:00. We'll be rushing home from swimming to catch the tipoff, but what's this - American Idol in Memphis at 8:00. Actually, this is an easy one for me; I'd never stay up past midnight to watch an AI episode. But there appears to be a strong Idol sentiment, which may find me and my younger son watching the Wiz in the basement, and catching AI on tape tomorrow.

(We interrupt this blog entry for the following Tony Kornheiser Radio update. TK will be back on the air in a few weeks. Better get the old email machine warmed up.)


Okay, the game and AI should wrap up around 9:00, the kids go to bed, so what should we watch to tide us over until "Dirt" comes on F/X at 10:00? Auburn-Alabama, nah, maybe if it was football season ... "Sex and the City" reruns on TNT, let's hope the Doc doesn't notice that .... "Devil's Pond" starring Tara Reid as a newlywed whose husband is plotting to kill her, sounds like a great comedy, perfect casting, but it's billed as a drama on Lifetime, so no dice.

(By the way, I am really excited about TK's return. It's pathetic, I know, but I am even using his parenthetical writing device)

What? The State of the Union? Seriously? Come on, do I have to? Can't I just watch the highlights on "The Daily Show" tomorrow? Because the preview that Jon Stewart did last night was hilarious. I guess I would watch the State of the Union to win a bet, but if somebody calls while it's on, I'm grabbing the phone. Even if it's the old alma mater looking for an annual gift, I am talking that guy's ear off. Better yet, one of those long, consumer product surveys. "On a scale of 1-10, how would I rate the fabric softener choices at my grocery store?" Wow, that is a tough one, let me see...

Look, it's not that I don't like politics or George W. Bush; well, actually I don't care for either, but that's not why I won't watch it. I was never a big Ronald Reagan fan, but at least he knew how to hold an audience. I'll catch the analysis on NPR tomorrow, maybe a little FOX news to balance that out, but something tells me I'll be more entertained, and better informed, by "Dog, the Bounty Hunter." (9:00 on A&E)

No comments: